Year 2 and Year 3 play by modified rules.
These rules are set so that enjoyment of the game is maximised for the little ones.
Click here for a Summary of NetSetGo rules and how we umpire Year 2 and Year 3 ESCPSNA games.
NetSetGO UMPIRING RULES SUMMARY
- Match Duration – Four 10 minute quarters
- Goal Posts – Usually 2.4m in height but Waverley courts are 3.05m and non-adjustable
- Ball Size – Size 4 ball
- Time to Pass Ball – Up to 5 seconds
- Stepping – Shuffling on the spot to regain balance allowed, without moving down the court. Always encourage correct footwork at training.
- Defending – Strict “one-on-one” defence. No double defending is allowed. Players must be 1.2 metres (4 feet) from the player with the ball when defending. Players may defend a shot at goal.
- Contact/Obstruction – A player must defend from a distance no less than 1.2m (4 ft). No deliberate bumping or contact is permitted. A player who contacts or obstructs is not stood out of play. The umpire will blow the whistle for the infringement but will allow the player to continue after a brief explanation, such as “that was a small mistake as you bumped into someone, but that’s ok. Let’s give the ball to the other side”
- Centre Pass – The initial Centre Pass will be taken by the team that won the ‘scissor/paper/rock’. All other Centre Passes shall be taken by the team that did not score the last goal.
- Substitutions – ‘On court game time’ should be evenly distributed amongst all players. A team may make unlimited substitutions at intervals or at any time during play.
- Positions/Rotations – Players should experience all positions over the course of the season, as it’s not about winning, but about learning the game, being a team-player and following coach’s directions. Changing or rotating players after each quarter is recommended but it’s up to the coach and is determined by the number of players in a team. Coaches are encouraged to keep notes on positons and players’ court time over the season. Year 2 coaches are required to record all player’s positions each game on the provided Rotation sheet.
ESCPSNA UMPIRES COORDINATOR